Sunday, March 26, 2023

SHIRTS

 How many shirts does a guy need? A friend recently told me that when he retired he had over 200 shirts with collars. That amazed me greatly. Why should anyone need 200 shirts?  You could go over six months and never wear one twice or go six months without having to wash them. That would be quite a pile of laundry.

So I went to my closet and counted my shirts with collars.  SIXTY TWO.  Assuming that the shirts are equally divided between long sleeved and short sleeved, I could still go a month without wearing the same one twice. I decided to try it. But it was still late winter and early spring so I allowed myself to mix short sleeves with long sleeves. 


 
It has been fun. My shirts came from everywhere.  I might point out that I have never ironed a shirt. I have an iron and am afraid to throw it away, in case I direly need it someday. I have a couple of shirts that I have worn only once but when they came out of the washer and drier looking like crepe paper I hung them on the back hanger.
I have one from Neiman Marcus that I call my Birthday Shirt. It is not really from Neiman Marcus but that's what I tell everybody.  It is definitely one of my favorites and Only wear it once a year, party or not. Below is my Birthday Shirt.
Some of my nicest shirts came from Goodwill. There is undoubtedly a story associated with every one of them. How did this shirt get to Goodwill? Did the guy die a violent death?  Did his wife run him off and give away his shirts?  Was it a gift and he hated it?

Another problem is pockets. It is very common today for a shirt to not have pockets. I try to stay away from shirts that don't have pockets.  Where is a guy supposed to put his pen and stylus and notes and toothpicks and such. I have a few without pockets. Must were gifts. At least once I forgot to check for pockets and was surprised when I got home..  The lone exception is a shirt that  I liked so well that I bought it anyway.  It is a beautiful bright design and I decided I just had to have it. See it below. Ain't it purdy?
Well, I am on number 27 on my way to wearing a different shirt every day. I may even try for two months. But with only 62 shirts I may have to iron one. Thanks for reading. How many collared shirts do you have?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment